“The Satanist knows that praying does absolutely no good- in fact, it actually lessens the chance of success, for the devoutly religious too often sit back complacently and pray for a situation which, if they were to do something about it on their own, could be accomplished much quicker!”
― Anton Szandor LaVey.
LaVeyan Satanism, founded on April 30, 1966, is one of the first above-ground distinct religions which declared itself as Satanic.
As followers, we stress dependence on the self rather than trusting and relying on any external power. It openly celebrates and accepts Man’s lustful nature. It totally promotes qualities like selfishness, hedonism, avarice, decadence, sense of self, and pleasure-seeking disposition.
Church of Satan
Anton LaVey formally formed the church of Satan on the night of April 30-May 1. LaVey was a nonbeliever, rejecting the presence of all gods. LaVey and his Church do not promote and embrace a belief in Satan as an entity who realistically exists and LaVey did not encourage the worship of Satan as a deity. LaVeyan Satanists understand that all Gods are works of fiction, so, instead of worshipping or engaging in friendship with such mythological entities, they place themselves at the center of their own universe.
The Church of Satan acknowledges that early rituals followed by them were mostly mockeries of Christian ceremonies and modernizations of Christian folklore defining the hypothetical behavior of Satanists.
However, as the Church of Satan progressed and developed it established its own specific communications and modified its rituals around those messages.
‘The Satanic Bible," - Basic Beliefs
LaVey published The Satanic Bible in 1969. The Satanic Bible, principal text written by LaVey and printed in 1969, is fragmented into four books:
- The Book of Satan - A poetic organization of the personality and ferociousness of Satanism.
- The Book of Lucifer - The Enlightenment. Leading to illumination. The theoretical and conceptual basis of Satanism.
- The Book of Belial - The philosophy and procedure for Satanic ceremony, magic and rituals.
- The Book of Leviathan - Writings for use in Satanic rituals. The Enochian Keys interpreted and explained by LaVey from the 17th Century texts of the psychic John Dee and assistant Edward Kelly.
The Church of Satan's philosophy
Basically, the central idea and concepts of LaVeyan Satanists are:
- No one should instruct you on what to do, particularly with your own body.
- Accomplish your desires, give in to temptation and enjoy the fads that other religions consider as immoralities.
- No is indebted or obligated to anyone, and you can treat other people in any way you feel
Misperceptions of Satanism
Satanism has been consistently and frequently accused of troublesome practices, largely without proof. There is a popular mistaken opinion that because Satanists believe in pleasing themselves first, they become inconsiderate or even psychopathic. In reality, responsibility is a major belief in Satanism.
Managing one’s life consist of being responsible for one's actions. Among the things LaVey openly and unequivocally criticized are: Hurting children, Rape, Stealing, Unlawful pursuit, using Drugs and sacrificing animals.